Last night (Tuesday), I gave a lesson for the young women of my ward. It was "Beauty Night". So I had all of my make-up, hair stuff, facial health stuff, and a framed picture of Audrey Hepburn displayed on a table with yummy looking cupcakes. So I began by telling them about all of the things I did to my face in the morning--all of the different washes, syrum, moisturizers, and so on. Then, realizing that they were distracted by the cupcakes--I offered them all one so that they could concentrate on what I was saying. One of the young women took a huge bite...there it was...the object of my lesson. These cupcakes looked so yummy, but, they were baked with onion powder, dry mustard powder, chili powder, you name it. (Thanks to Stephanie for making them--they were perfect). Even though they looked great, needless to say, they were disgusting. It was actually "INNER BEAUTY NIGHT". So we went on with the lesson and I tried to make the point that you can spend 2 hours on your outer apperance, but none of that matters if you don't have a kind heart and serve others. We talked about being a good friend and being kind to others and what those had to do with inner beauty.
Then, we talked about happiness. If happiness is the most attractive accessory--then a genuine smile is the best lipgloss. Then I told the girls about my sister-in-law, Erin. 
Erin is the epitome of inner beauty. Always smiling and trying to cheer those around her. When people say that someone has a glow about them...they are talking about Erin. She is such a great example of optimism. You know...I'm not really sure if I've ever seen her in a bad mood. I'm so glad to have someone so loving, caring and selfless as my friend. I'm so thankful for her.
By the end of the night, I think that the girls "got it" and hopefully, today, they tried to smile and be kind. So, I'll ask all of you the same thing I asked the young women...Are you being beautiful? Because no matter how pretty you look on the outside...The Lord "seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7).
Beauty Tips
By Audrey Hepburn
For attractive lips, Speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, Seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, Share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, Let a child run his or her fingers
through it once a day.
For poise, Walk with the knowledge you’ll never
walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored,
renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed;
never throw out anybody.
Remember, If you ever need a helping hand, you’ll
find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older, you will discover that you have
two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for
helping others.
The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she
wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she
combs her hair.
The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her
eyes, Because that is the doorway to her heart, the
the place where love is.
The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, But
true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul.
It is the caring that she lovingly gives, the passion
that she shows, and the beauty of a woman with
passing years—only grows!
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Beautiful!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
I dont even have words to tell you how kind that was of you. I could of given you 100 people you could of talked about. But thank you that was very sweet. I just love you and am so happy we are family and FRIENDS!!!!
You did such a GREAT job!! I enjoyed everything you talked about and I think the girls got it. You are a GREAT example of all you talked about.
Thanks again. You're the BEST!
I wish I was there. I work with the YW (mia maids) who are thick in the middle of all that beauty madness! Nicely done and I must agree about one Ms. Erin....:) How far into the cupcake did she get...hopefully a big fat juicy bite!
This is GREAT!!! Oh, it would be so fun to work with the young women! You are awesome and I must say, the perfect woman to give such a lesson! Your own beauty (both In and Out) makes you such a joy to be around!
Great post! Love the quotes, and the scrapbook page you showed me was awesome. Wouldn't it be great if every woman understood beauty!? I don't even understand it sometimes. It's nice to look nice, but even nicer to be nice. The world just doesn't seem to understand that. Good job teaching those girls what really matters!!!
Brilliant! I don't know what else to say....except I'll will be stealing this idea someday (smile).
I LOVE THIS POST! Erin is one of the sweetest people. Although I think I've only met her once or twice. You sound like such a great young women leader!
I love the lesson, very important especially today. I loved working with the young women. Sounds like you really enjoy the calling.
Post a Comment